Wind is not the future and solar is limited, so what would you do?

I am curious to see what people would put forward in terms of alternative energy and for full energy independence. Obviously, gas/oil is going to be a thing for a while still but if we start moving away from it now and relying on it less, it will benefit everyone. 

I think the only logical way to true energy independence and security is to go nuclear. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JRexx said:

I think the only logical way to true energy independence and security is to go nuclear. 

Nuclear is the answer but I would add insulation and homes with two stages where you can heat and cool only a smaller living area. 

Currently the more energy you use, the cheaper it gets. This must be reversed. A small amount of energy should be free and any more should cost progressively more. 

• Like 2

Agree with both. I think putting solar panels on homes should be a standard as well as making it more energy efficient for homes to be cooler. Most electricity is used up in the summer from people running central air and AC units. There are ways to draw up cool temps from under ground and have them flow through the house with powered fans that don't take much energy to run. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chrysostom said:

Nuclear is the answer but I would add insulation and homes with two stages where you can heat and cool only a smaller living area. 

Currently the more energy you use, the cheaper it gets. This must be reversed. A small amount of energy should be free and any more should cost progressively more. 

10 hours ago, britanica said:

Agree with both. I think putting solar panels on homes should be a standard as well as making it more energy efficient for homes to be cooler. Most electricity is used up in the summer from people running central air and AC units. There are ways to draw up cool temps from under ground and have them flow through the house with powered fans that don't take much energy to run. 

Unfortunately that is happening in our country, (forced double glazing low energy efficient appliances solar if possible disabled friendly, etc) which is good but right now with our housing crisis and our electricity and gas going up due to our climate emergency gov, bad timing.

This is adding 20-30k more onto a new house, at a time when most middle class citizens would have to save for 20-30 years for a deposit then most of their income after that, (93%) would be used to service the loan.

• Like 3

1623292405_350x50-AMAZON-BANNER-MUSIC.png.ee69795a634536c465d472debd417aff.png

On 8/31/2024 at 11:41 PM, tmcom said:

This is adding 20-30k more onto a new house, at a time when most middle class citizens would have to save for 20-30 years for a deposit then most of their income after that, (93%) would be used to service the loan.

I was going to mention this. It just adds MORE cost to buyers which is not doable. This should have started becoming a thing like 20 years ago. They have to wait for a more stable economy or it will just make things cost even more. I am not apposed to doing some sort of thing where local communities can fund a solar farm with a back-up generator for a certain number of homes but slapping them on every home is a mistake. 

Plus, we have no real or safe way to dispose of them without harming ourselves or the environment. Most only last 8 to 15 years. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2024 at 6:32 AM, chrysostom said:

Along with an electric car?

I have not really thought deeply into this, it does make sense more so for those than homes in some ways but like JRexx mentioned... the pollution they will create and the costs tmcom mentioned make it very silly to even consider right now. 

• Like 2