How do you handle the loss of a beloved pet?

britanica

I lost one of my cats. I feel myself coming and going in waves of crying and sadness to just feeling empty. I don't know if my other cat cares or realizes he is gone but he does seem like he may be upset. I have lost pets in my life and I feel the older I get the easier it has gotten but the pain, it still hurts as much. I have not been able to bring myself to eat yet today. I am just trying to keep busy.

How do you handle the loss of a pet you cared for? Is there anything that you do that helps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my experience the only thing that seems to help is time. I think our human nature drives us to become terribly attached to anything that relies on us. I think it also has to do with the instinct we have for raising our own children. We imprint this on animals we love which is why it is so hard when they are gone. I know how much it hurt.

• Like 2

Just let yourself be sad when you have to be. If you try to fight it, it makes it take longer to heal from the loss. I did this before and it took me several months after I lost a dog I loved. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. I guess time is the answer. It just sucks cause he was such a big part of my daily life. He has health issues so my day started with him and ended with him. I gave him medication and such. I miss him so much. 

• Like 3